Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Introduction


My name is Eric Flam and I was born and raised in San Diego County. I lived and attended school in Alpine until I was a sophomore in high school. My family and I then moved to Coronado and I continued the remainder of my high schooling. I went all the way through high school but did not graduate. I went to work and obtained my GED about eight years later. I graduated from SDSU in May of 2008 with a degree in Math for Single Subject Teaching.

I am a Mac person. I had quite a time transitioning from a PC, but am now a believer. I look forward to being able to afford an iPhone. I use my computer daily, and actually many times a day. Most of my activity is centered around school, entertainment, communication, and checking the surf. I am currently using the Microsoft Office 07 for Mac.

The portion of the Cal State San Marcos Mission Statement that speaks to me is the mission itself. The goal to "collaboratively transform public education" is one loaded with meaning. The word collaboratively implies that all concerned will be included in the process, which is compelling to someone new entering the system. The word transform implies that public education is an dynamically evolving entity that can always be changed. It also implies that it should be changed, and for the better. And also, "preparing thoughtful educators" and "advancing professional practices" seems to be an excellent method to achieving this goal.

4 comments:

Sisters Sheeba said...

Go Math! I'm totally looking to get the credential in it as well. Good times. Good luck with all and by the way, your story is slightly similar to my sister's although she chose polisci rather than education but her focus is international development. Ok what that has to do with you, who knows, it's a comment! Nice meeting ya!

Sarah S said...

Eric! It seems as though the best teachers are the ones who have a story to tell. I do not envy your choice in being a math major. My sister was one and I did not understand why her last math classes had no numbers involved. Yes, public education can evolve and change, but it really does take the effort of all teachers, administrators, students and community as well. I am glad you are embracing this and will help be the positive change in education.

~Sarah S.

Sharon 422 said...

Dear Eric,

Fancy meeting you in another summer school class :) Anyways, I think your point about collaboratively transforming education is a important part. It is important to remember that we as well as the world we live in is transforming always and it is essential to remember that when considering what to teach our children to set them up for success. For example 30 years ago teachers would not have needed a thechnology class but now they do!

~ Sharon

~ Sharon

aatwood said...

hey Eric, Fantastic view on the CSUSM's COE goals. I agree, that teaching evolves...sometimes it gets better, sometime it gets worse, but we try as hard as we can everyday to make things work...thats what people say teachers make the best learners.